Monday, February 1, 2016

Spring Broadway Preview



The 2015-2016 Broadway season is fully underway! Hamilton has risen to stratospheric levels of success, Jennifer Hudson has The Color Purple selling like hot cakes, Noises Off has already extended, On Your Feet has audiences cha-cha-ing home nightly, and my personal favorite, Allegiance, is sadly closing next week. But, on with the show!



While I'd love to see everything, this teacher's salary won't allow it so these shows are on my "MUST SEE" list!

She Loves Me
Opens: March 17th
Laura Benanti is one of my guiding stars, so obviously I already have tickets, but Jane Krakowski's sass has also gotten me through many a tough day. What could be better than these two broads singing Bock & Harnick? Plus, I used to do "Vanilla Ice Cream" with my fabulous voice teacher..done and DONE!

Bright Star
Opens: March 24th
I must admit, I hadn't heard much buzz about this show until a good family friend saw it at The Kennedy Center. I luckily already have tickets to this one as well and I hope it's such a big deal! I too grew up near the Blue Ridge Mountains and I hope this is just as folksy as all get out.

The Crucible
Opens: April 7th
I am the newest convert to Ivo Van Hove after seeing his phenomenal direction in A View From the Bridge. I am fascinated by this Arthur Miller series that he is doing and I like The Crucible even more that the former. It takes a lot for me to rank a play above a musical and Ivo Van Hove is the singular reason I will be skipping Tuck Everlasting until later this summer.

American Psycho 
Opens: April 20th
So I'm going to be perfectly honest and tell you that Alice Ripley was the first musical theatre star that I stalked. I was one of the proud Stage Door Jennies at Next To Normal who was able to facebook friend her before she maxed out and Zuckerberg gave her the heave-ho. Please forgive me, I was interning at Dance Magazine that summer. Anywho, I digress. Duncan Sheik is a brilliant songwriter and this production has assembled the perfect cast of crazy in Lady Ripley, the former Mr. Mamie Gummer, Benjamin Walker, and Spider-Man survivor Jennifer Damiano. (P.S remember in SMASH when Meg Hilty said, of Liaisons, "they are auditioning real names like Jen Damiano"). This is a must see. It may run forever or close after 1 performance, but Madame Ripley will make it memorable.

Waitress
Opens: April 24th
I didn't know what this Jessie Mueller character was all about and then my dear friend Sarah Jones VanFossen had me obsessed with Beautiful. I fell in love with Jessie and I am so happy she is coming back to us. Allegedly, Ms. Bareilles has written one of the best musical theatre scores in years, but I'm refusing to listen to it until I can experience it live onstage. Plus, I love Keala Settle because she tweets with me sometimes!

Long Day's Journey Into Night
Opens: April 27th
Jessica Lange.......enough said. But also, John Gallagher Jr......I will stop talking now.

Shuffle Along, or, The Making of the Musical Sensation of 1921 and all that Followed 
Opens: April 28th
Please see this show if you want to see Audra McDonald her 87,345th TONY....and TAP DANCE! Just let me name drop for a second.....Diva McDonald, Brian Stokes Mitchell, even though he blew off my friend Pam at the Women on the Verge stage door on the way to the BK Whopper Bar, Billy Porter, Brandon Victor Dixon, and Joshua (my Violet crush) Henry. This show could be about teamsters tapping the morse code and I would still see it. Also....Savion frickin Glover! Mic drop...Barbie out!

No comments:

Post a Comment